Young Living as a company was founded in 1993, and they have over 20 years of research and experience in the essential oil business. They are the only essential oil company with their own farms. If you were to walk through any of the Young Living farms, you would find weeds alongside the growing plants. That’s a good thing, because it means that these farms don’t use any chemicals on their plants.
- Young Living is the world leader in producing and guaranteeing 100% pure and potent, genuine therapeutic grade essential oils.
- Gary Young has built 7 farms around the world, not including their partnered farms, that are completely open about their farming practices.
- They love for their members to be a part of the seed plantings, all the way to the harvest and distillation process.
- Young Living uses its own internal labs, in addition to third-party audits, to verify that international purity and potency standards are met and surpassed.
- There are no pesticides or chemicals used on their farms. They have crews that hand-pick the weeds.
- Young Living completes 8 different tests on every batch of oil that is made, yet only 30% of oil samples tested are sold. The rest are used on Young Living farms as a natural herbicide.
This commitment to the highest of quality is what Young Living calls its Seed to Seal promise.
This means that Young Living has control and ownership of each step of the creation of their oils, from seed, cultivation, distilling, testing, and sealing each bottle of essential oil.
Coming from a background of poverty, Gary Young always wanted to give back to others.
The mission of the D. Gary Young, Young Living Foundation is to empower individuals to achieve their potential and defy limitations by providing wellness and education opportunities to underserved communities.
I know that with Young Living, I can pick any of the 500+ oils or other products, and I don’t have to worry about what else was added. They are clean, pure, chemical-free options that save me time and worry.
Dory Doyle, Young Living Independent Distributor
Silver Leader and Founder of One Breath at a Thyme
This was one of my favorite moments from the Young Living farm- this farmer gave us sprigs of Peppermint and we tasted it straight out of the ground. YL uses no pesticides or chemicals and they do all their weeding by hand or hoe. I remember my Memaw kept a peppermint plant in her yard and whenever she wanted to freshen her breath she would eat a leaf. It was so fun to do the same thing and I felt like I was back in my Memaw's home garden again. Boy, do I miss her! It makes me so happy to know YL has such strict quality standards enough that I could grab a leaf off of a plant and put it in my mouth, just like Memaw's garden.
Stephanie Wolfe, Young Living Independent Distributor
Executive Member and Founder of Lavender & Lime Thyme
A common practice is to take a decent grade of essential oil and dilute it 90% to 95% with an odorless, colorless solvent (usually an inexpensive petrochemical) so that what was a pound of good oil becomes ten or twenty pounds of diluted oils to be sold as if it were the original substance, thus multiplying the profit. Such diluted oils often carry labels saying "Genuine" or "100% pure," which is allowed by the U.S.FDA... Mysteriously, for every pound of frankincense distilled in the world, more than a dozen pounds are eventually sold.
David Stewart, Ph. D.
from "The Chemistry of Essential Oils Made Simple"